Patricia A. Owens, RN, BSN, MHA, CMLSO, CNOR
, as course Director and Instructor, along with instructor Patrick J. Clark, CMLSO
, are teaching M-135 Medical Laser Safety Officer
at Rockwell Laser Industries. This in Los Angeles class starts February 21st and runs for two days.
ANSI standards require the Medical Laser Safety Officer (MLSO) to have knowledge of laser systems, nominal hazard zones (NHZ), maximum per exposure limits (MPE), and the optical density (OD) of protective eyewear.
This two day course is designed for either the beginner or the intermediate student. Emphasis is on the development of a comprehensive optical device
safety program within a variety of differing health care facilities. It will assist participants in implementing the duties of the MLSO.
The curriculum is based on ANSI Z136.3, OSHA, TJC and state standards.
Medical Laser Safety Officer Course Topics:
The CMLSO exam is provided as an option with each registration.
- Basic optical device operation and beam characteristics
- Review of a variety of medical laser systems
- Role of Medical Laser Safety official
- Basic bio-effects of different wavelengths, and medical/surgical applications
- Hazard analysis: MPE, NHZ, OD